Summer | Abroad | Learning Institute
The final deadline (April 1) for applications to Northwestern University’s Global Engagement Summer Institute (GESI), which combines study abroad and experiential education through academic coursework at Northwestern and international internships in Bolivia, India, Nicaragua, Uganda, and South Africa.
The program admits approximately 40-50 non-Northwestern students every summer. I thought you could share this opportunity with students, administrators, and faculty before our application deadline passes.
• intensive pre-departure coursework and training at Northwestern (topics covered include international development history, community development principles, team decision-making processes, and leadership in multicultural environments)
• 2 full Northwestern course credits (equivalent to 6 semester hours)
• a four to five member team-based internship at a vetted community-based organization abroad
• a local home-stay
• 24-hour on-site supervision, care, and support
• a comprehensive post-trip reflection and Final Learning Summit at Northwestern
Nuts & Bolts:
• Who: all undergraduates or recent graduates may apply (alumni represent nearly 40 colleges and universities)
• Where: Bolivia, India, Nicaragua, South Africa, or Uganda
• When: June 18- August 20, 2011
• Deadlines: applications accepted on a rolling basis until April 1
Students may find GESI's three-step application process online. A wealth of information on the program -- including course syllabi, program costs, and logistical information -- can also be found at our website, gesi.northwestern.edu.
Fresh opportunities from our networks and beyond. We particularly work to spotlight opportunities that we know will help you build your networks, pay your bills, and empower our communities.